The following four videos show Year 6/Grade 5 students working on a piece of art during our “How we express ourselves” unit of inquiry. The central idea is:
“Creative expression involves inspiration, limitation and reaction.”
The students have been through the following process:
- Considering our lives so far and the experiences we have had. This includes issues of fairness/unfairness, equality/inequality we have inquired about during the previous unit of inquiry (“Sharing the planet”)
- Thinking about which experiences have provoked the strongest reactions in us.
- Thinking about which reactions are inspirational as they make us want to do something or to express how we think or feel.
- Considering how we may wish to express ourselves using a form of art in which we already have some skills that can be built upon.
- Anticipating how people may react to our work and using that to make our work more powerful or thoughtful.
- Shopping for resources and materials.
- Creating an authentic studio space.
- Using a process journal.
The students’ work will be framed and exhibited at an authentic Gallery Opening later this week.