As educators, we are all seeking the secret ingredient that will make learning better, more powerful, more meaningful, more relevant…
Stop seeking. You are wasting your time, because the answer is right in front of you. It is time.
If you want students to inquire deeply into something. Give them time.
If you want students to produce something they are proud of. Give them time.
If you want students to solve a problem independently. Give them time.
If you want students to resolve a conflict. Give them time.
Time is the magical factor in the equation. So, here is that equation:
- Figure out the why, the purpose.
- Figure out the how, the process.
- Figure out the what, the desired objective.
- Give time. Real time.
- Fight off anything else that threatens to steal that time, including your old teaching habits!!!
- Stand back and wait for your opportunities to teach, I mean really teach… as and when its needed, to those students who need it.